Welcome to my
online journal...

My name is Alexander Gordon Smith, and I'm the author of various books including The Inventors series and the brand new Furnace series.

This is my blog, and is where I talk about books, writing and, well, probably other stuff too...

Busy!

Well, it's been another busy fortnight! Highlights include:
Science Week! Doing a workshop at the Norwich Forum for Science Week. It turned out to be quite a small event because of a horrid virus that's been going round the schools. But I had a great time with the few that turned up. We talked about all kinds of inventions and scientific superpowers, and when it came to the 'Invent Your Way Out Of Trouble' section they came up with loads of awesome gadgets and gizmos and potions. Paris, one of Lucy's best friends, was there too which was cool. She was one of the first fans of The Inventors!

Adventures According to Faber! Last Wednesday I was asked to do a little talk at the Youth Librarians' AGM, which was being hosted by Faber. I was one of four authors who was asked to talk a little bit about their books. Also there was Alex Milway, who has written the fantastic Mousehunter book which I have just started reading. We've met a few times and he's such a nice guy. We both got signed up by Faber at roughly the same time, so we've gone through the process together. It's great to have someone else to talk about the highs and, well, other highs of being a published writer! There was Steve Voake, author of the brilliant Dreamwalker's Child, Web of Fire and The Starlight Conspiracy, another really nice guy who's been nothing but supportive and friendly the few times I have met him! And Rachel Wright joined us. She has written a book called You've Got Blackmail, which sounds great! She was lovely too, and almost as nervous as I was!

It is always terrifying talking in front of a crowd, but all the librarians there were so lovely and laughed at all the right points in my talk, which is the most important thing! Afterwards we all mingled, and it was fab to talk to them all about libraries and children's books and other things. I even wore the cool librarians tattoos that Lynsey got me for my birthday, which went down very well. And, as always, it was great to talk to everyone at Faber. A brilliant night all round!

The New Book! Okay, I know I'm supposed to be writing Furnace 2, and I am (it's coming along very nicely and is much scarier than the first), but I've started writing something new for younger readers and I'm really getting into it. I'll put up some information, and maybe the first chapter, up on the website in the next couple of weeks, but I'll hopefully have finished it by the end of the month! I'm trying to write four books this year so not off to a bad start!

That will do for now, more to report but I'll do it tomorrow! The only downside is that my heating is still broken, and with the snow outside it is absolutely freeeeeeeeeeezing!!! You can see your breath in my house. I really should get it fixed, but like I said things are busy busy busy!

0 comments:

© Copyright 2010 Alexander Gordon Smith
Creative, bespoke website and blog design by Graphic Alchemy