Welcome to my
online journal...

My name is Alexander Gordon Smith, and I'm the author of various books including The Inventors series and the brand new Furnace series.

This is my blog, and is where I talk about books, writing and, well, probably other stuff too...

Another Member of the Furnace Family has Arrived!!!!

Everybody, I'd like to introduce you to FURNACE: DEATH SENTENCE!!!!! It arrived yesterday afternoon, and is a 0.5lb bundle of joy! Well, okay, it's not exactly a bundle of joy, it's a terrifying roller-coaster ride of excitement and horror as Alex and his friends make one last bid to escape from the nightmare that is Furnace Penitentiary. But it's still a very welcome addition to the Furnace family and we welcome it with open arms!

Look how cool it looks with its brothers and sisters!!!



Kissy kissy, I love you little books!



Ahem, sorry. I heard that this book was out last week when a couple of people, including Liz from MyFavouriteBooks, contacted me to let me know they had received it. I was in Edinburgh at the time, and was incredibly miffed that Faber hadn't sent me a copy! But after a little prod they popped one in the post. I am so thrilled to see it. Somehow having three books in the series now makes it so much more exciting – The Inventors was a two-book series, which is so 2007 / 2008 :-)

I LOVE the design of this one. I think white was a risky colour to go for but it works. If anything it reminds me of bloodstained hospital bedsheets which, as anybody can see from the other elements of the cover, is actually perfectly fitting. Gruesome! And I was also very relieved to see that the picture Amazon have been showing on their website for the last few months was NOT actually the finished cover of the book. For those who haven't seen the Amazon cover, it appears to have what looks like a character from the sci-fi flick The Fly in the bottom left-hand corner. Why? I'm not 100% sure. But I was very relieved to see that this particular character had buzzed off of the final version.



It feels great to have five books out now, it all seems to have happened so quickly. Thanks again so much to everybody involved in the publishing and marketing of Furnace, you've all done an absolutely wonderful job! Now, on with Book 4!

5 comments:

dyanna said...

I like your blog very much.I'm waiting for your new posts.

4 September 2009 at 04:45  
Tez Miller said...

Crikey, that fly-man is rather comical-looking. Never noticed it on the Amazon cover before.My brain bewilders me... ;-)

4 September 2009 at 06:14  
Liz said...

Hi Gordy - I repacked my bookshelves this weekend and made sure all 3 Lockdowns are together and they do look fab and neat in their tidy little bundle. So pleased you got your copies. But come on! You need to tell us more about your supersekrit future 15k probject! It sounds so good.

7 September 2009 at 07:18  

Thanks everyone! I know, Fly-Man is bizarre – there was also another early version of the cover with a gorilla on the front, which was almost as weird. I'll see if I can find it! Tez - many thanks for putting the review on Amazon.com, that was fab! Thanks for the lovely comments, Liz, I'm glad you like the books. I can't wait to read your review! I'll put some more information up here very soon about the supersekrit project :-) And thanks Dyanna, I'll be sure to write some more new posts soon!

8 September 2009 at 02:23  

I'm just LOVIN' the covers of your books, G! Stunning stuff.

4 July 2010 at 07:31  
© Copyright 2010 Alexander Gordon Smith
Creative, bespoke website and blog design by Graphic Alchemy