Welcome to my
online journal...

My name is Alexander Gordon Smith, and I'm the author of various books including The Inventors series and the brand new Furnace series.

This is my blog, and is where I talk about books, writing and, well, probably other stuff too...

Don't Get Caught!


It's been a really busy week getting things ready for the launch of Furnace next month. One of the things Faber wanted to do was put together a trailer for the book, and as we're making a film later in the year I thought Jen and I might as well give it a shot.

The first thing we needed was some props. I managed to find a great mask that looked like a wheezer, and a gas mask which I trimmed down to fit then stitched on. It didn't look like much sitting on a table in the middle of the day, but when I put in on, blacked out the eyes, wore an old slicker and charged down a corridor in the middle of the night it was terrifying!

Jamie volunteered to be the poor soul caught breaking into a house, and I have to say he played the burglar so well that I began to get suspicious... We filmed it at Jen's house, as she had a perfect long, dark corridor, and we must have shot a dozen or so takes. It was at that point that I began to regret buying an airtight mask and clamping a non-operational gas mask on the top, as I could barely breath! After half an hour or so I was staggering around like a drunk, hyperventilating and making some very real wheezing splutters!

It was definitely worth it, though, as when Jen had finished the edit the trailer looked fantastic. It's short, but it's very scary, and the fiery Furnace logo looks brill. I just want to say a huge THANKS to Jen for putting so much work into it! Check it out on the homepage, and at my new YouTube channel.

I'd also like to say thanks to Norwich HEART (and Jen again) for letting us take some author photos at the Norwich Guildhall, which is an incredible old building which used to be a jail. Jen and I spent an hour or so down in the cellars taking some shots, although we had to leave after a while because we both became convinced that the place was haunted! With all those cells, and all that history, I wouldn't be surprised... Well worth popping in if you're passing by, though!

0 comments:

© Copyright 2010 Alexander Gordon Smith
Creative, bespoke website and blog design by Graphic Alchemy